This week we start off with having a quick chat with our old buddy Michael (“Marsh”) Marshall regarding the relaunch of the UK magazine called the Skeptic.
In this week’s history segment we talk about the LHC that powered up 12 years ago this week without the world vanishing into a black hole, and then Pope Francis gets poked for several things, including his claim that gossip is worse than covid.
Speaking of covid-19, the pandemic gets a separate segment about the latest developments, before we get into the news:
- The 1st randomised clinical trial of a Chinese herbal medicine for COVID-19
- Medical Chamber issues statement condemning COVID-19 denier members
- University of Kiel distances itself from infamous COVID-19 denier professor Sucharit Bhakdi
- 30% of people in Spain have doubts about covid-19 vaccine
- So, are women leaders really doing better in tackling COVID-19?
- Survey – Young adults tend to take food supplements as replacement for drugs
- Danish advocacy group against heart disease ends program involving healer
- Grapefruit seed product that has everything in it but grapefruit seed extract
- Latest book of Edzard Ernst ‘Chiropractic: Not All That It’s Cracked Up to Be’ published
- New study shows difference in nerve cells before birth for autistic people
The prize for being Really Wrong goes to the bigoted Bishops in Poland who wants to start Church sanctioned conversion therapy clinics, fully aware that they do not work.
Intro; Greetings; Short Interview; This Week; Pontus Pokes the Pope; News; Really Wrong; Quote and Farewell; Outro; Out-takes
Events Calendar: http://theesp.eu/events_in_europe
- INTERNATIONAL: VACCINES WORK – Polio eradicated from the African continent
- EUROPE: Dengue local transmissions in Europe
0:09:19 INTERVIEW with MICHAEL MARSHALL
The Merseyside Skeptics has taken over management of the UK magazine, “The Skeptic”.
- The Skeptic website: https://www.skeptic.org.uk/
0:24:30 THIS WEEK IN HISTORY
At CERN in Switzerland the Large Hadron Collider (LCH) was powered up on 10 September 2008.
0:29:54 PONTUS POKES THE POPE
“Gossip is worse than covid”!
- CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/06/europe/pope-gossip-coronavirus-intl-scli/index.html
- Crux: https://cruxnow.com/vatican/2020/09/pope-says-synod-used-parliamentary-logic-when-debating-married-priests/
- Vatican: http://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/messages/pont-messages/2020/documents/papa-francesco_20200901_messaggio-giornata-cura-creato.html
- Francis on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Pontifex/status/1302177149957206017
0:37:24 COVID-19 Update
- Reinfections in Europe
- Die Welt: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-reinfections-confirmed-in-the-netherlands-belgium/a-54688064
- the Conversation: https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-reinfection-what-it-actually-means-and-why-you-shouldnt-panic-144965
- Science Alert: https://www.sciencealert.com/anti-inflammatory-drugs-could-be-helpful-for-covid-19-ventilator-patients
- What’s the verdict on transmission by children?
- FullFAct.org: https://fullfact.org/education/covid-19-schools/
- Outbreak News: http://outbreaknewstoday.com/covid-19-asymptomatic-children-can-shed-sars-cov-2-for-weeks-52986/
- WHO: https://www.euro.who.int/en/media-centre/sections/statements/2020/joint-statement-towards-a-consensus-on-safe-schooling-in-the-who-european-region-during-the-covid-19-pandemic
- the Conversation: https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-what-researchers-know-about-the-risk-of-reopening-schools-and-how-best-to-limit-it-145509
- The Russian vaccine
- the Conversation: https://theconversation.com/russian-coronavirus-vaccine-results-have-been-published-heres-what-they-reveal-145636
- the Lancet: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31866-3/fulltext
- Outbreak News: http://outbreaknewstoday.com/russia-coronavirus-vaccine-trials-no-serious-adverse-events-and-elicit-antibody-response-42561/
- INTERNATIONAL: The 1st randomised clinical trial of a Chinese herbal medicine for COVID-19
- HUNGARY: Medical Chamber issues statement condemning COVID-19 denier members
- GERMANY: University of Kiel distances itself from infamous COVID-19 denier professor Sucharit Bhakdi
- SPAIN: 30% of people in Spain have doubts about covid-19 vaccine
- INTERNATIONAL: So, are women leaders really doing better in tackling COVID-19?
- HUNGARY: Survey – Young adults tend to take food supplements as replacement for drugs
- DENMARK: Danish advocacy group against heart disease ends program involving healer
- HUNGARY: Grapefruit seed product that has everything in it but grapefruit seed extract
- UK: Latest book of Edzard Ernst ‘Chiropractic: Not All That It’s Cracked Up to Be’ published
- INTERNATIONAL: New study shows difference in nerve cells before birth for autistic people
1:11:48 REALLY WRONG
Bishops in Poland Calling for Conversion Therapy Clinics
1:15:32 QUOTE AND FAREWELL
“Even the fact that competent experts must serve under politicians of mediocre intelligence and little foresight is a problem that we are stuck with, because the experts themselves cannot agree on any major world issue. A logocracy of quarreling experts might be no better than the rule of the mediocrities to which we are subject. The declining intellectual quality of political leadership is the result of the growing complexity of the world. Since no one, be he endowed with the highest wisdom, can grasp it in its entirety, it is those who are least bothered by this who strive for power.”
/ Stanisław Lem, 12 or 13 September 1921 – 27 March 2006 was a Polish writer known for his satirical, philosophical and science-fiction works /