This week we make predictions regarding upcoming books by Edzard Ernst, talk about the future of fact-checking, discuss the works of Peter Boghosian, remember the father of LSD Albert Hofmann, then go on to our news items including the wrong-doings of Paolo Macchiarini, the measles epidemic in Sweden, the latest Swedish Skeptic Awards, how Facebook could be used to prevent disease outbreaks, the ‘Turmeric story’, Psiram the German wiki of irrational believes turns 10, year review of Retraction Watch, a book review on Science Based Medicine, The Conservative Tribune spreading misinformation about migration and ‘aminal brothels’. We finish with an important quote from Galileo Galilei.
Intro; Greetings; The Week in Skepticism; News; Farewell; Outro; Outtakes
- What to expect from fact-checking in 2018?: https://www.poynter.org/news/what-expect-fact-checking-2018
Edzard Ernst to release two books this year:
Peter Boghossian’s and James Lindsay’s Conceptual penis controversy:
00:20:09 This Week in Skepticism
Creator of LSD Albert Hoffman was born on 11 January 1906
00:27:25 Skeptical News
- SWEDEN:Macchiarini may be prosecuted after all – twice!
- SWEDEN:Measles epidemic far from over in Sweden
https://omni.se/ledare-stor-skandal-att-bebisar-har-utsatts/a/6nkz6W https://www.sydsvenskan.se/2018-01-03/vardpersonal-ska-fa-vaccin-mot-masslingen https://www.sydsvenskan.se/2018-01-03/ytterligare-ett-masslingsfall–13-smittad
- SWEDEN:Swedish Skeptics awards for 2017
- INTERNATIONAL: Facebook could stop disease outbreaks?
- UK:“The cancer industry is a medical conspiracy against humanity” (The Turmeric story)
- GERMANY: Psiram, the German wiki of irrational belief is 10 years old
- INTERNATIONAL: Retraction Watch in review for 2017
- INTERNATINAL: (BOOK) Rigor Mortis: How Sloppy Science Creates Worthless Cures, Crushes Hope, and Wastes Billions
00:55:36 Really Wrong:
“I have never met a man so ignorant that I could not learn something from him.” /Galileo Galilei/