This week we first learn about how the 1854 cholera outbreak led to advances in the knowledge about diseases and outbreaks thanks to the clever and rigorous work by the physician John Snow, now regarded as one of the founders of modern epidemiology. Pope Francis is getting closer to his vision of “a poor church for the poor”, perhaps just a little bit faster than he bargained for as the pandemic is hitting the Catholic finances. Then Andras delves into how we can begin to measure the success of covid-19 related restrictions.
In the news this week:
– Swedish Snake Oil advertisement is struck down
– Archaeologist sentenced for faking Basque finds
– Climate more sensitive to CO2 emissions than thought?
– Who killed the Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme?
– Szekesfehervar budget cuts – nonessential vaccines are first to go
– The Aspen Institute’s ‘Good10 – The Pandemic Issue’ discussing many aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic
– The return of the Mayan calendar – some myths refuse to die
– University of Vienna found a way to inoculate medical students about SCAM
The prize for being Really Wrong goes to doctors in Northern Ireland that continue to obstruct abortions even after the recent legalization!
Intro; Greetings; This Week; Pontus Pokes the Pope; News; Really Wrong; Quote and Farewell; Outro; Out-takes
Events Calendar: https://theesp.eu/events_in_europe
0:06:36 THIS WEEK IN HISTORY
John Snow, the father of modern epidemiology, died on 16 June 1858. He is famous for tracking down the source of the 1854 Broad Street cholera outbreak in London.
0:13:49 PONTUS POKES THE POPE – “The poor Church for the poor”
0:16:25 COVID-19 UPDATE
- Imperial College London: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/198074/lockdown-school-closures-europe-have-prevented/
- The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-fake-news-less-of-a-problem-than-confusing-government-messages-new-study-140383
- Factcheck.org: https://www.factcheck.org/2020/06/unpacking-whos-asymptomatic-covid-19-transmission-comments/
- Nature: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01538-8
- Outbreak Today: http://outbreaknewstoday.com/asymptomatic-covid-19-infections-may-account-for-as-much-as-45-percent-of-all-cases-65658/
- News.ru: https://news.ru/en/health/coronavirus-vaccine-production-in-russia-may-begin-in-september/
- SWEDEN: Promotion of Swedish Snake Oil struck down
- SPAIN: Archaeologist sentenced for faking Basque finds
- INTERNATIONAL: Climate more sensitive to CO2 emissions than thought?
- SWEDEN: Who killed the Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme?
- HUNGARY: Szekesfehervar budget cuts – non essential vaccines are first to go
- INTERNATIONAL: The Aspen Institute’s ‘Good10 – The Pandemic Issue’ discussing many aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic
- The Aspen Institute: https://www.aspeninstitute.org/programs/science-society/the-pandemic-issue/
- INTERNATIONAL: The return of the Mayan calendar – some myths refuse to die
- AUSTRIA: University of Vienna found a way to inoculate medical students about SCAM
1:00:58 REALLY WRONG
NORTHERN IRELAND: Doctors sabotaging legal abortions
1:04:28 QUOTE AND FAREWELL
“Critical thinking is the only weapon and the only defense that the human being has against the dangers of life. Because if I do not think critically, I will be subject to all influences, to all suggestions, to all errors and to all the lies that are spread, and with which I have been indoctrinated since childhood.”
/ Erich Seligmann Fromm, social psychologist, psychoanalyst, sociologist, humanistic philosopher, and democratic socialist. /
Thank you Jelena, we miss you already!
2 thoughts on “TheESP – Ep. #227 – Thank you, Jelena!”
So – Jelana as an accident and decides to leave the team?
Is this just a coincidence?
Too Bad! Thank you Jelena and gold bye. I hope we hear from you again.