This week we are coming back with our regular segments featuring topics like the 17th European Skeptics Congress, CICAPfest2017, James Randi’s appearances in Europe, the BMJ being infiltrated by quackery, the harm in using homeopathy (for encephalitis), the latest in the fight against the anti-vaccination movement in Germany and Italy, Spanish skeptics launching a course on how to tackle pseudoscience in the information age, Portuguese skeptics launching a book on how not to be fooled, parents killing their son with gluten-free diet and Denmark repealing their blasphemy law.
Intro; Greetings & Feedback; This Week in Skepticism; Skeptical News; Really Right; Quote
Greetings & feedback
- The 17th European Skeptics Congress – Register now!
- James Randi in Zürich soon!
- CICAPfest 2017
- If you’re interested in the events happening across Europe, please visit our calendar page.
This Week in Skepticism
Evelyn Underhill (died on 15th June 1941).
- The BMJ being infiltrated by quackery
- ITALY – Italian boy dies after having been treated for encephalits with homeopathy
- La Repubblica: http://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2017/05/29/news/bimbo_morto_otite_autopsia-166741515/ (in Italian)
- ITALY – Italy fighting antivaccination with making jabs compulsory
- ITALY – Galileo Prize 2017
- Massimo Polidoro: http://www.massimopolidoro.com/blog/premio-galileo-rivedi-la-cerimonia-di-premiazione.html (in Italian)
- GERMANY – Germany fights antivaccination
- PORTUGAL – New book out by ComCept (Diana and Joao)
- ComCept: http://comcept.org/2017/06/01/nao-se-deixe-enganar/ (in Portuguese)
- BELGIUM – Baby dies because of gluten free diet
Blasphemy law repealed in Denmark
- International Humanist Union: http://iheu.org/blasphemy-law-denmark-no/
“Science says the first word on everything, and the last word on nothing”
/Victor Hugo, French writer/