On this episode, you’ll find news, events and interesting topics, including open access to science journals in Europe, homeopathy in Germany, the state of GMO bans across the continent and pseudoscience in Greece. Also, Pontus reports from Stockholm Skeptics in the Pub, featuring a short interview with vice president of the Swedish Skeptics, Peter Olausson.
Intro; Greetings & Feedback; On this day; What’s on in Europe?; What’s hot in Europe?; Pontus reports; Logical Fallacies; Really Right; Quote
Greetings & feedback
- Contact us!
- The website of the Swedish skeptical organisation Vetenskap och Folkbildning (in Swedish)
- VoF (Vetenskap och Folkbildning) on Wikipedia
- Facebook page of the Hungarian Skeptic Society with the new logo (in Hungarian)
- Information on the Galileo system on the ESA website
- Self-proclaimed British psychic Sally Morgan’s video on fake identities on Facebook
On This Day: 3rd June
Otto Loewi (3 June 1873 – 25 December 1961) was a German-born pharmacologist and psychobiologist whose discovery of acetylcholine helped enhance medical therapy.
What’s on in Europe?
- Check out our “Events in Europe” calendar!
- End of season for Barcelona Skeptics in the Pub (in Spanish)
What’s Hot in Europe?
- Open Access to all scientific research by 2020?
- German homeopaths found evidence that homeopathy works?
- Call for a review of the European GM ban
- NAS: Genetically Engineered Crops: Experiences and Prospects
- BBC: Royal Society calls for review of European GM ban
- Q&A on GM plants on the Royal Society’s website
- State of GM bans on different countries on the GMO-Free Europe (!) website
- Countries and Regions with GE food/crop bans on the Organic Consumers Association website
- Bloomberg: Most EU Countries to Ban Cultivation of 8 GMOs Using New Rules
- The New York Times: With G.M.O. Policies, Europe Turns Against Science
- New Scientist: More than half of EU officially bans genetically modified crops
- About the GMO authorisation process on the EC website
- About public consultations regarding GMOs on the EC website
- Register of authorised GMOs on the EC website
- Council on Foreign Relations: The Regulation of GMOs in Europe and the United States: A Case-Study of Contemporary European Regulatory Politics
- Genetic Literacy Project: Where are GMOs grown and banned?
- EcoWatch: It’s Official: 19 European Countries Say ‘No’ to GMOs
- Greek PM’s advisor spreads pseudo-medicine
- ekhatimerini: Serious consequences of an “innocent” post (in Greek)
- Debunking on Ellinika Hoaxes: “Heal cancer with cannabis oil” – Shoot
Pontus Reports – Stockholm Skeptics in the Pub
Talking to Peter Olausson, recently appointed vice President of VoF.
- Peter Olausson’s blog (some in English, mainly in Swedish)
Logical Fallacies – Spotlight Fallacy
- Spotlight Fallacy on Logically Fallacious
- Gapminder: Unveiling the beauty of statistics for a fact based world view
Really Right: The Swedish Medical Association, for taking a stand against Anthroposophy
- Dagensmedicine: Mats Reimers blog Publicerad2016-05-30 The final sugar pills – Medical Association bitter medicine for Vidarkliniken (in Swedish)
“The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!”
/Brian Cox, British physicist, and Advanced Fellow of particle physics in the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Manchester/