On this episode, you’ll find news, events and interesting topics, including QED, cupping and ways to win at the Olympic Games, ART and the need to support Fiona O’Leary against the movie “Vaxxed” as well as the victims of playing Pokémon GO across the world. Also, we received a great photo from Poland showing Exorcism monthly.
Intro; Greetings & Feedback; On this day; What’s on in Europe?; What’s hot in Europe?; Logical Fallacies; Really Wrong; Announcements; Quote
Greetings & feedback
- QED – Question. Explore. Discover. (tickets are still available for the 2016 event in Oct)
- Kyle Sturgess recommending us for nomination for the Ockham Awards 2016 on Twitter
- Nominations are now open for the Ockham Awards 2016
- Cupping – Olympic Pseudoscience
- Fiona O’Leary (founder of ART – Autistic Right Together) on The Skeptic Zone (Ep. #406) and The Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe (Ep. #577) – Call for support against Andrew Wakefield and “Vaxxed”.
- Independent: Pokemon Go: Man ‘impaled on metal fence’ while playing game in Stockholm
- Listener (Adam) sent us a photo of Exorcism Monthly in Poland with Al Pacino on the front page
On This Day: 12th July
Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, “ONE EXTRA LARGE MEDIUM”
(Russian: Еле́на Петро́вна Блава́тская, Yelena Petrovna Blavatskaya; 12 August [O.S. 31 July] 1831 – 8 May 1891)
What’s on in Europe?
- Check out our “Events in Europe” calendar!
- Skeptics on the Fringe in Edinburgh
What’s Hot in Europe?
- Brexit vote and its effects on health regulations
- Three dead after treatment at alternative cancer clinic
- Alternative treatment didn’t work for Ansbach suicide-bomber
- The pope thinks schools promote gender changes to children to promote book sales
- Homeopathic mattresses
- Facebook to get rid of click baits
Logical Fallacies – Post hoc ergo propter hoc
- About Scapegoating on The Skeptic’s Dictionary
- EU Observer: Hungary steps up campaign on migration referendum
Really Wrong: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung for publishing an article in support of homeopathy on their science pages
- Edzard Ernst: Homeopathy: ‘the days of fighting are over’
- FAZ: The days of fighting are over (in German)
- Petition against false therapies still on
- Research grant and a call for fictional stories for the Spanish skeptical organisation ARP
- Circulo Esceptico establishes a journalism Award for critical thinking
- QED Créche Extended for prospective attendees
“Progress is made by trial and failure; the failures are generally a hundred times more numerous than the successes; yet they are usually left unchronicled.”