This time our team is joined by foreign liaison of the Czech Skeptics Club Sisyfos, Claire Klingenberg who talks about the 17th European Skeptics Congress. Then we talk events, quacks, UFOs, OpenTrialsFDA, Santa and much more. Also, our next QED-report features science educator and host of Talk Nerdy and the SGU, Cara Santa Maria.
Intro; Greetings & Feedback; On this day; What’s on in Europe?; What’s hot in Europe?; QED report; Really Wrong; Quote
Greetings & feedback
On This Day: 5th December 1952
The Great Smog of London
- The Guardian: 60 years since the great smog of London – in Pictures
What’s on in Europe?
- Check out our “Events in Europe” calendar!
Hot in Europe
- The “Viral Monitor”
- Don’t tell children Santa exists?
- Neurologica: Is the Santa myth immoral?
- Society of Homeopaths to challenge the Advertising Standards Authority
- The Nightingale Collaboration: The different faces of the Society of Homeopaths
- Death by acupuncture in Norway
- ECSO news: Death from acupuncture
- UFO hoax – alien invasion of Turkey (and other places)
- Doubtful News: UFO hoaxer fuels worry about an attack on Turkey
- OpenTrialsFDA finalist for the Open Science Prize
QED-report – Cara Santa Maria
- Cara Santa Maria’s website
- The Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe
- Talk Nerdy
- Cara Santa Maria on Twitter: @CaraSantaMaria
Chinese “healer” Xiao Hongchi charged for manslaughter in the UK
- Telegraph: Three people arrested after diabetic grandmother dies following Chinese ‘slap treatment’
- Daily Mail: Revealed: The shocking claims of a Chinese slapping therapist who leaves his clients covered in purple bruises and believes breast cancer is caused by being unhappily married
“In other studies you go as far as others have gone before you, and there is nothing more to know; but in a scientific pursuit there is continual food for discovery and wonder.
/Mary Shelley, English novelist, short story writer, dramatist, essayist, biographer, and travel writer, best known for her Gothic novel Frankenstein/