This week we talk about Swedish Skeptics treating their members to 15 tickets to the European Skeptics Congress and how we were interviewed by Skeptical Inquiry before we talk about the famous Oxford Evolution debate. Then we dive into skeptical news around Europe talking about homeopathy being debunked (which does not impress the Homeopathic World Congress), The Good Thinking Society, antivax-sentiments in Italy and Switzerland, mistletoe therapy in Austria, Chinese medicine in Hungary, 30 years of skepticism in Spain, Brian Dunnings new film Principles of Curiosity and how the EU Court of Justice believes science can be ruled on in courts.
Intro; Greetings & Feedback; This Week in Skepticism; Skeptical News; Really Wrong; Quote
Greetings & feedback
- VoF (Swedish Skeptics) to have a ticket lottery for members to the ESC 2017
- The ESP interviewed for Skeptical Inquiry
- If you’re interested in the events happening across Europe, please visit our calendar page.
This Week in Skepticism
The Oxford Evolution debate (30th June 1860)
- Darwin Day: Oxford debate
- About the Oxford debate on Wikipedia
- INTERNATIONAL: Homeopathy – no need for further discussion
- The Spectator: https://health.spectator.co.uk/the-debate-about-homeopathy-is-over-these-verdicts-prove-it/
- ARP-SAPC (Spanish Skeptics): http://www.escepticos.es/node/5255
- GERMANY: Homeopathy World Congress in Leipzig
- LMHI Homeopathic World Congress: http://www.lmhi-congress-2017.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/EN-2017-02-010LMHI-2017_Booking-Form-Sponsoring.pdf
- GWUP (German Skeptics): http://blog.gwup.net/2017/06/13/kritisches-zum-homoopathischen-weltarztekongress-in-leipzig/
- Der Spiegel: http://www.spiegel.de/gesundheit/diagnose/homoeopathie-kongress-in-leipzig-aerztin-natalie-grams-haelt-den-event-fuer-humbug-a-1152100.html
- UK: Have your say on NHS homeopathy funding in Enfield
- The Good Thing Society: http://goodthinkingsociety.org/have-your-say-on-nhs-homeopathy-funding-in-enfield/
- GERMANY: German BPI’s stance on homeopathy
- ITALY: People on the streets over mandatory vaccination in Italy?
- SWITZERLAND: Vaxxed goes to Switzerland
- AUSTRIA: Misteltoe therapy on public health provider in Austria?
- HUNGARY: Hungarian government funding the launch of a Traditional Chinese Medicine institution at a prestigious medical university
- SPAIN: ARP-SAPC – 30 years of skeptical activism
- ARP-SAPC: http://www.escepticos.es/node/5257
- INTERNATIONAL: Principles of Curiosity is out
- Website: http://principlesofcuriosity.com/
- Doubtful News: http://doubtfulnews.com/2017/06/principles-of-curiosity-is-out-now/
EU Court of Justice
“Sit down before fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses nature leads, or you shall learn nothing. I have only begun to learn content and peace of mind since I have resolved at all risks to do this.”
/Thomas Henry Huxley, British Biologist/