First: A big shout-out to fellow skeptics Claire and Jakub who are getting married on the day of the release of this episode!
This week we learn about William Benjamin Carpenter, an early skeptic and describer of the Ideomotor effect, back in 1870s. Then we ponder the results of the Synod for the Amazon and what decisions Pope Francis will have to make of those. Also, the renewal of the Pact of the Catacombs sounds perfect for the week of Halloween…
In the news we look at a study regarding mandatory vs. voluntary vaccinations, we note that even if you are a Shaman and married to a Princess you may not publish dangerous health advice and we have a look at the latest unfortunate victim of German cancer quackery.
We celebrate that two out of three polio strains are now eradicated and take a look at a new example of how to battle conspiracy theories, and are happy to see the Good Thinking Society help the chief of the NHS put homeopathy awareness on the agenda (and on the front page of the Daily Mail!)
We close the show by handing a Really Wrong Award to Adriano Panzironi, self-proclaimed diet and supplement peddler who promise to help you live to 120 (at a steep fee, of course…)
Intro; Greetings; This Week; Pontus Pokes the Pope; News; Really Wrong; Quote and Farewell; Outro; Out-takes
Events Calendar: https://theesp.eu/events_in_europe
The full team is back together and send all their best to Claire Klingenberg and Jakub Kroulík who get married as this goes out on 31 October! Congratulations, we wish you all the best!
(Claire is of course the President of ECSO (the European Council of Skeptical Organizations) and occasional co-host of theESP)
0:04:09 This Week in Skepticism
William Benjamin Carpenter, born on 29 October 1813, was an English Physician, zoologist, physiologist and a skeptic. He described and named the Ideomotor Phenomenon, sometimes known as the Carpenter Effect.
- William Benjamin Carpenter (Wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Benjamin_Carpenter
- The Ideomotor Phenomenon (Wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_phenomenon
0:08:48 Pontus Pokes the Pope – the Results of the Synod: Francis has the ball now
The Synod for the Amazon, which will be remembered as part of Francis legacy, votes in approval of married priests, female deacons and special rites in the Amazon (and only there). These are quite novel concepts for the Church and the question is now what Francis will do about it. Also, some bishops sneaked away to the catacombs to sign a pact…
- Catholic News Agency: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/amazon-synod-bishops-sign-new-version-of-vatican-ii-catacombs-pact-36202
- Crux: https://cruxnow.com/news-analysis/2019/10/26/amazon-synod-ends-by-leaving-an-awful-lot-on-the-popes-plate/
INTERNATIONAL: Voluntary vs mandatory vaccination policies and how people relate to them under different circumstances
- European Journal of Public Health: https://academic.oup.com/eurpub/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/eurpub/ckz181/5592603
- VAX (the game): https://vax.herokuapp.com
NORWAY: Book of princess’ shaman boyfriend is stopped by publishers
UK: Leah Bracknell (1964-2019): another victim of cancer quackery?
- Edzard Ernest: https://edzardernst.com/2019/10/leah-blacknell-1964-2019-another-victim-of-cancer-quackery/
- MSN: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/soaps/leah-bracknell-remembered-by-emmerdale-cast-in-touching-tributes-after-her-death-aged-55/ar-AAIV7ad
INTERNATIONAL: Two Out of Three Strains of Polio Eradicated
- Scientific American: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/two-strains-of-polio-down-one-to-go1/
GERMANY: The German Amadeu Antonio Stiftung publishes a new brochure on how to make sense of conspiracy theories
- GWUP: https://blog.gwup.net/2019/10/18/neue-broschuere-der-aas-wissen-was-wirklich-gespielt-wird-widerlegungen-fuer-gaengige-verschwoerungstheorien/
- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadeu_Antonio_Foundation
- Amadeu Antonio Stiftung: https://www.amadeu-antonio-stiftung.de/publikationen/wissen-was-wirklich-gespielt-wird/
UK: Chief of NHS calls for de-listing of Society of Homeopathy from Professional Standards Authority (PSA)
- the Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7619805/NHS-chief-blasts-homeopathy-dangerous-blames-industry-fuelling-antivaxx-myths.html
- The Good Thinking Society: https://goodthinkingsociety.org/judicial-review-over-psa-reaccreditation-of-society-of-homeopaths-granted-permission-by-high-court/
00:37:00 Really Wrong: Adriano Panzironi claims his diets and supplements cure cancer and make you 120 years old
- Il Fatto Alimentare: https://ilfattoalimentare.it/panzironi-processo-pm.html
- Le Iene: https://www.iene.mediaset.it/2019/news/adriano-panzironi-furbate-guru-guarigione_558556.shtml
- Wikipedia (Italian): https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriano_Panzironi
00:42:25 Quote and Farewell
“Believe what you like, but don’t believe everything you read without questioning it.”
/ Pauline Diana Baynes, 9 September 1922 – 1 August 2008. English illustrator, author and commercial artist /