This week Jelena and Andras explore the world of skeptical conferences like CICAPFest, the European Skeptics Congress and Skeptics on the Fringe in Edinburgh.
The Loch Ness Monster, the death of Ryke Geerd Hamer (NGM) are also talked about, as well as another country joining the compulsory vaccination club, cancer quack in action again in Hungary, the Familiarity Backfire Effect revised and evolution forced out of Turkey schools.
Also, don’t forget that nominations for the Maddox Prize 2017 are still open!
Intro; Greetings & Feedback; This Week in Skepticism; Skeptical News; Really Wrong; Quote
Greetings & feedback
- James Randi officially announced to be a guest at CICAPFest 2017
- The 17th European Skeptics Congress in Wroclaw, Poland
- Skeptics on the Fringe in Edinburgh
- If you’re interested in the events happening across Europe, please visit our calendar page.
This Week in Skepticism
The Stuart photograph at Loch Ness (14th July 1951)
- Hoaxes: The Stuart Photograph
- BBC: Nessie mystery turns 75
- GERMANY: Ryke Geerd Hamer is dead
- GWUP: http://blog.gwup.net/2017/07/04/ryke-geerd-hamer-tot/ (in German)
- FRANCE: France to follow fellow European countries in making vaccinations mandatory
- HUNGARY: Convicted quack launches TV show
- SPAIN: A valuable international skeptic network rarely talked about, yet around for 15 years
- Escepticos: http://www.escepticos.es/node/5240 (in Spanish)
- INTERNATIONAL: New research reveals the backfire effect might not be that much of a problem
- Skeptical Science: https://skepticalscience.com/news.php?n=3789
- UK: Nominations for the Maddox Prize open until 31st July
- Sense about Science: http://senseaboutscience.org/activities/maddox-nominations/
Turkey for making schools stop teaching evolution
- The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/23/turkish-schools-to-stop-teaching-evolution-official-says
“Modest doubt is call’d the beacon of the wise.”
2 thoughts on “Episode #081”
You guys almost gave me a heart attack. It thought for a moment this is the last episode. I’m waiting you back in the next week.
(I meant episode 82.)