This week we welcome Annika back and first chat a bit about comets and astronomy and about some of the excellent online skeptical events there now is to follow, like the UK Skeptics in the Pub Online, the new Cologne events and Susan Gerbic’s About Time project.
In this week in history we hear about Carl Jung, who was born on 26 July in 1875. Just like Freud he got a lot of things terribly wrong, but his ideas still inspired a lot better psychology later on and they continue to be part of the present-day culture. Then we poke the pope and find that even though Francis appears to want to fight the sex abuse scandals, last week’s new guidelines confirm that the Church continues to get most of their priorities completely backwards.
Lots of corona in the news this week:
– The COVID19 infodemic re Western Europe
– Corona conspiracy myths in Germany
– Andrew Wakefield and other anti-vaxxers mobilising against a future corona vaccine and unfortunately it is working
– Hungarian guy gets convicted for coronavirus misinformation
– Austria’s relaxed rules on masks has bad effect on infection rates
– Google bans ads for conspiracy theories
– the PSA investigates the UK Society of Homeopaths for non-compliance
– Russia wages war on homeopathy
– Good Thinking Society helps the BBC in producing excellent documentary about fake cancers ‘cures’
– BMJ presents study on medical science communication in the age of disinformation
– Is the Russian Dyatlov mystery finally solved?
The prize for being Really Right (perhaps controversially) goes to a Swedish doctor who turned himself in for assisted death.
Intro; Greetings; This Week; Pontus Pokes the Pope; News; Really Right; Quote and Farewell; Outro; Out-takes
Events Calendar: https://theesp.eu/events_in_europe
0:13:42 THIS WEEK IN HISTORY
Carl Jung, born on 26 July 1875 continues to be an extremely influential figure in the history of psychology despite that he got most of it wrong.
- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Jung
0:20:08 PONTUS POKES THE POPE – New guidelines against sex abuse misses the point
- Vatican: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20200716_vademecum-casi-abuso_en.html
- the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/vatican-urges-bishops-not-to-dismiss-sex-abuse-claims/2020/07/16/3d32a70a-c767-11ea-a825-8722004e4150_story.html
- Vatican: https://www.vaticannews.va/en/vatican-city/news/2020-07/vademecum-procedures-cases-sexual-abuse-minors-clergy.html
- Billions of tax money to US Catholic Church (AP): https://apnews.com/dab8261c68c93f24c0bfc1876518b3f6
- New saints coming (Crux): https://cruxnow.com/vatican/2020/07/pope-advances-sainthood-causes-of-two-women-three-men/
- Hagia Sophia to become mosque (Crux): https://cruxnow.com/vatican/2020/07/pope-francis-pained-by-decision-to-turn-hagia-sophia-into-mosque/
- Vatican exorcists issue guidelines for quality control (Crux): https://cruxnow.com/church-in-europe/2020/07/vatican-recognized-exorcists-group-offers-guidelines-for-quality-control/
- INTERNATIONAL: COVID-19 infodemic report from Western Europe
- Covid Infodemic Europe: https://covidinfodemiceurope.com
- GERMANY: Latest survey data on Corona conspiracy belief
- UK: Britain’s Coronavirus antivaxxers and what to do about them
- The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-anti-vaxxers-one-in-six-british-people-would-refuse-a-vaccine-heres-how-to-change-their-minds-142207
- the Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8516001/Dominic-Lawson-win-war-Covid-19-inoculate-Britain-against-crazy-anti-vaxxers.html
- Edzard Ernst: https://edzardernst.com/2020/07/ex-doctor-andrew-wakefield-better-to-die-as-a-free-man-than-live-as-a-slave-and-get-vaccinated-against-covid-19/
- HUNGARY: Guy convicted for spreading Coronavirus misinformation
- AUSTRIA: After stopping their rule of wearing masks, infection rate for Austria is going up
- INTERNATIONAL: Google bans ads on coronavirus conspiracy theories
- UK: Society of Homeopaths under investigation
- RUSSIA: New war against homeopathy
- UK: BBC documentary about fake cancer cures
- INTERNATIONAL: Hardships and hazards of communicating medical science in the age of disinformation
- RUSSIA: Is the Russian Dyatlov mystery finally solved?
1:11:48 REALLY RIGHT
SWEDEN: Retired professor and MD turns himself in for assisted death
1:22:09 QUOTE AND FAREWELL
“The impression that science is over has occurred many times in various branches of human knowledge, often because of an explosion of discoveries made by a genius or a small group of men in such a short time that average minds could hardly follow and had the unconscious desire to take breath, to get used to the unexpected things that came to be revealed. Dazzled by these new truths, they could not see beyond. Sometimes an entire century did not suffice to produce this accommodation.”
/ Charles Fabry, French physicist, 11 June 1867 – 11 December 1945. /