This week we first get the record straight and correct our position on Ocean Cleanup – while we appreciate the sentiment, the whole idea is both damaging and unscientific. Two great Skeptical events are coming up this spring: Skepkon 2020 in Berlin 21 – 23 May and the 4th Conference on Science and Pseudoscience 13 -14 March in Alicante.
In this week in history we hear about Russia’s own Roswell incident, the Height 611 UFO crash. Pontus Pokes the Pope and gives us the latest on the celibacy controversy, the first female high-ranking appointment in the Vatican and how Father Robert, aka the Digital Jesuit, invited Francis for a D&D session in the crypt.
All news sources are full of Coronavirus stories at the moment, but how does one separate the facts from fiction? Swedish Schools keeps patronizing known Scientology organisations and the Spanish Manifesto against Pseudotherapies gets momentum abroad.
Greenpeace wants a piece of the action on the Green party’s recent success in the Hungarian election, but they are more ideologically driven than they should be. Can we afford to mitigate climate change effects? In fact, it is uneconomical NOT to do so, according to a new study and again we point out that homeopathy of course cannot replace antibiotics.
We end by shaming Corriere Della Sera for promoting pseudoscience and hand them a Really Wrong Award.
Intro; Greetings; This Week; Pontus Pokes the Pope; News; Really Wrong; Quote and Farewell; Outro; Out-takes
Events Calendar: https://theesp.eu/events_in_europe
Everyone gets it wrong sometimes and Jelena has had reason to revise her position on Ocean Cleanup from episode 204. But we are happy to see that both Skepkon 2020 in Berlin 21 – 23 May and the 4th Conference on Science and Pseudoscience 13 -1 4 March in Alicante have now been announced.
- SKEPKON: https://www.skepkon.org/programm
- Escepticos: http://www.escepticos.es/node/7311
0:12:39 THIS WEEK IN SKEPTICISM
The Height 611 UFO incident, Russia’s own Roswell, happened on 29 January 1986.
0:21:18 PONTUS POKES THE POPE
Update on Celibacy Controversy, First Woman to Hold High Post in the Vatican and Father Robert Seems Like a Cool Guy.
Cardinal Robert Sarah digs in his heals regarding celibacy and insists that his former popeness Benedict agrees. Francis appoints Francesca Di Giovanni to the highest-ranking position ever for a woman in the Vatican, but we are not convinced. Also, Father Robert, aka the Digital Jesuit, seems to be a cool dude who is not too shy to invite Francis for a friendly game of D&D.
- INTERNATIONAL: Coronavirus Misinformation and a Newly Emerged Conspiracy Theory
- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Wuhan_coronavirus_outbreak
- FactCheck (1): https://www.factcheck.org/2020/01/social-media-posts-spread-bogus-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory/
- FactCheck (2): https://www.factcheck.org/2020/01/misinformation-on-coronavirus-death-toll/
- ECDC: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/risk-assessment-outbreak-acute-respiratory-syndrome-associated-novel-0
- the Huffington Post: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/coronavirus-myths-bat-soup-hospitals-vaccine_uk_5e2eab48c5b6d6767fd7faae
- SWEDEN: Swedish Schools Buy “Anti-Drug Courses” from RDS (Scientology)
- UK: ASA Bans an Advert ‘Warning of 5G Dangers’ and All Hell Breaks Loose
- SPAIN: European Manifesto Against Pseudo-Therapies is Gaining Momentum
- Science-Based Medicine: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/european-manifesto-against-pseudo-therapies/
- HUNGARY: Greenpeace Issues Recommendations for Budapest to Fight Environmental Issues
- GERMANY: New Study Concludes Costs are Likely Smallest if Warming is Limited to 2°C
- GERMANY: Yet Another Questionable Research on the Alleged Benefits of Homeopathy… This Time, with the Aim of Replacing Antibiotics
0:58:14 REALLY WRONG
ITALY: Corriere Della Sera Sneakily Promotes Pseudotherapies
1:03:51 QUOTE AND FAREWELL
“The unspoken rule of democracy: three stupid ones will always outvote two smart ones.”
/ Ljupka Cvetanova, writer born in Kocani, North Macedonia /