This week it’s the return of Brian(!) as we have sent András on a field trip to Malaysia. We celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Glasgow Skeptics and then explore signs that some bishops in the Catholic Church at least seem to be trying to do the right thing regarding the abuse scandals, however without much help from Francis. He may instead worry that he has opened Pandora’s box by allowing discussions about married priests and female deacons.
In the news ‘Trick or Treatment’, the book by Edzard Ernst and Simon Singh, has received an award and a study indicates that organic farming may actually be worse for the environment in some cases, something that leads to protests from organic defenders filled with logical fallacies.
WHO is getting hard criticism for its inclusion of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) in the ICD, the International Classification of Diseases, which is also illustrated by a study the shows that TCM is causing a growing number of cases of fatal liver failure.
A French study shows that MD’s who receives gifts from pharmaceutical companies prescribe too much of the wrong drugs, the 500 not-so-qualified ‘experts’ who denied the climate change emergency are challenged by over 11,000 real scientists and Lidl has a silly solution to too much sugar in your coffee.
Finally, the Swedish government gets a Really Wrong award for their decision to subsidize the abusive Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Intro; Greetings; Pontus Pokes the Pope; News; Really Wrong; Quote and Farewell; Outro; Out-takes
Events Calendar: https://theesp.eu/events_in_europe
We welcome Brian Eggo back on the show and send a belated but sincere thank you and good luck to Claire Kroulik-Klingenberg and her Jakub.
0:04:59 This Week in Skepticism
0:10:45 Pontus Pokes the Pope – More conferences on abuse, plus Francis has opened Pandora’s box
After the bishops’ conference in Leicester there is now also one in Lourdes to figure out what to do about the sex abuse issues in the Catholic Church. Also, Francis may have regrets for opening Pandora’s Box as German bishops want to get married too.
- Le Monde(1): https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2019/11/08/pedophilie-a-lourdes-l-eglise-debat-de-sa-responsabilite_6018525_3224.html
- Le Monde (2): https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2019/11/09/les-eveques-votent-le-principe-d-une-somme-forfaitaire-pour-les-victimes-des-pretres_6018608_3224.html
- City News 1130: https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/11/09/global-debate-gets-underway-over-married-catholic-priests/
UK: ‘Trick or Treatment’ book by Edzard Ernst and Simon Singh gets award
ENGLAND and WALES: Entirely Organic Farming Could Raise Emissions by 70%
- The Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/organic-farming-food-emissions-climate-change-england-wales-a9174371.html
INTERNATIONAL: Academies warn against unregulated use of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- EASAC: https://easac.eu/publications/details/traditional-chinese-medicine-a-statement-by-easac-and-feam/
INTERNATIONAL: Drug-induced liver injuries after TCM (Trad Chinese Medicine) SCAM
- Edzard Ernst: https://edzardernst.com/2019/11/drug-induced-liver-injuries-after-scam-a-new-and-most-valuable-review/
FRANCE: Doctors who receive gifts prescribe worse
- Le Monde: https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2019/11/06/les-medecins-qui-recoivent-des-cadeaux-des-laboratoires-pharmaceutiques-prescrivent-plus-et-moins-bien_6018197_3224.html
INTERNATIONAL: 11,000 Scientists Warn About Climate Change
- The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/05/climate-crisis-11000-scientists-warn-of-untold-suffering
- Global News: https://globalnews.ca/news/6138812/mickey-mouse-global-climate-emergency-letter/
GERMANY: Retailer ‘Lidl’ sells a spoon with a bump as remedy against too high sugar consumption
- Welt: https://www.welt.de/gesundheit/article202294200/Lidl-Loeffel-Kann-er-den-Konsum-von-Zucker-verringern.html
0:50:32 Really Wrong: Sweden – Jehovah’s Witnesses to Receive Government Grants
- Svenska Dagbladet: https://www.svd.se/fel-att-ge-statsbidrag-till-jehovas-vittnen
- Swedish Government: https://www.myndighetensst.se/bidrag/utbetalade-bidrag.html
0:57:49 Quote and Farewell
“There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing”
/ Oscar Wilde, 16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900, Irish poet and playwright /