On this episode, you’ll find news, events and interesting topics, along with an interview, featuring Dr Julia Offe, board member of the German skeptical organisation GWUP (Society for the Scientific Investigation of Parasciences), head of Hamburg Skeptics, founder of Hamburg Skeptics in the Pub and Science Slam, as well as one of the organisers of SkepKon.
Intro; Greetings & feedback; On this day; What’s on in Europe?; What’s hot in Europe?; Interview with Dr. Julia Offe; Logical Fallacies; Really Wrong; Quote
Greetings & feedback
- Contact us!
- Phytotherapy on Wikipedia
- The Appeal to Nature fallacy
- Guerrilla Skepticism on Wikipedia
- Czech Skeptic Club – Sysifos
- Science Blogs: Raging Bullsh*t: Robert De Niro is the latest celebrity antivaccinationist to spew pseudoscientific nonsense to the world
- Index.hu: ‘Putin alert’ available for your browser as an extension (in Hungarian)
- Hungarian Two-Tailed Dog Party on Wikipedia
- Web of Trust
- BBC Analysis Podcast Free Speech series
On This Day: 20th April
Adolf Hitler (born 20 April 1889)
- Adolf Hitler on Wikipedia
- The Protocols of The Elders of Zion on Wikipedia
- Eliott Aronson, Carol Tavris: Mistakes Were Made (But Not by me)
What’s on in Europe?
- What Works Global Summit 2016
- Sense About Science
- Paul Zenon on Wikipedia
- Please, check out the Skeptic Calendar of Events in Europe!
What’s Hot in Europe?
- Italian doctor fighting anti-vaxxers
- The Huffington Post: Meet The Italian Doctor Using Facebook To Fight Anti-Vaxxers
- Roberto Burioni’s Facebook Profile (in Italian)
- Graphology expelled from court rooms in Hungary
- Index.hu: Graphologists kicked out of the court rooms (in Hungarian)
- An electromagnetic sensitivity case in Sweden
- EU ruling that might have a devastating effect on health care
Interview with Dr. Julia Offe
- About Julia Offe on the Official GWUP website (in German)
- GWUP (Society for the Scientific Investigation of Parasciences) on Wikipedia
- Science Slam
Logical Fallacies – Ad hominem argument
Really Wrong: To the ‘Association of Catholic Doctors’, believers in religious nonsense, claiming to treat something that is not a disease, with something that is not medicine.
- Edzard Ernst: Catholic homeopaths claim to cure homosexuality
“Because a fact seems strange to you, you conclude that it is not one. … All science, however, commences by being strange. Science is successive. It goes from one wonder to another. It mounts by a ladder. The science of to-day would seem extravagant to the science of a former time. Ptolemy would believe Newton mad.”
/Victor Hugo, French novelist/
The Podcast Awards
1 thought on “Episode #019, feat. Dr Julia Offe”